Share

Morgan Advert

Sunday 31 May 2015

Mark this article read
Expand this article
Please, introduce yourself briefly.
My name is Gloria Nweke. I am from Anambra State; a graduate of human kinetics and health education from the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka. I am single and self-employed.
Why did you join Nihi to trek for Jonathan and at what point did you join him?
When I heard that people were trekking for the then President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, I said to myself that if anybody deserved to be trekked for, it should be Goodluck Jonathan. A man who did what many African leaders did not do by conducting elections devoid of his political power. I requested to join him and he accepted. I joined in Abaji.
What did he tell you him when you showed interest to trek with him to Otuoke?
He willingly obliged even though he was not sure I was a serious or if I could do it.
Did your friends or family members try to discourage you about it?
Yes.
What did they tell you exactly?
Although I told few persons to avoid getting discouraged, yet those I told still discouraged me. They said it was a crazy idea and was not worth it. Others thought I was not serious and laughed over it. They also said someone else had done it and it would be like I was merely copying the person.
What motivated you to go ahead despite the discouragement?
I was convinced that Dr. Goodluck Jonathan deserved the trek and somehow, I felt it was something I could do.
What were the things you brought along for the exercise?
Apart from the clothes and shoes on me, I carried a little bag containing a glucose drink, pain killers, toiletries, hair brush and a few other things for women.
If you were sure the former President deserved the trek, why did you quit at a point and later joined Nihi?
My parents were among the people I did not tell. My parents live in Anambra State while I stay with my elder sister who is married in Abuja. When my parents heard via the social media of my action, they were shocked and angry. They started calling and ordering me to turn back. I kept trying to convince them till my mother cried to my sister to beg me to come back home. At that point, I knew I had to return home and sort things out with my mother.
Where did you rejoin Nihi after settling things with your family?
I went back to Lokoja and rejoined at Auchi.
How did both of you manage the temptation of companionship before another lady joined to make a trio?
There was no temptation. We were just two people determined to achieve a goal. One could hardly ever be tempted in a such circumstance. The walk was so tiring to the point that once we managed to hit the bed, we could not move a muscle till daybreak.
Did you experience any difficulty on the way that nearly made you decide to quit finally?
With the drama already surrounding my decision to trek, I concluded that quitting was no longer an option for me. Yes, I experienced difficulties, my tendon was hurt, infact all the muscles in my body became hurt. I also had blisters on my legs but I did not give up.
How do you react to the view that you trekked for pecuniary benefits?
I think people are entitled to their opinion. I am sure that for some people, no amount of convincing will suffice to change their opinion regarding such thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Comments

Widget is loading comments...