Share

Morgan Advert

Friday 6 March 2015

Extract 2  From   A Woman in Need   by Lateef Adeola Sanusi


Each time I was leaving for my station, Linda
would hug and cling to me, and kiss me several times. I
would feel her heartbeats like the hammer of a
blacksmith doing justice to stubborn steel.
‘Darling, how I wish you were never posted to
that construction firm for your primary assignment.
Without you, life is too boring in Kano,’ she murmured.
After reassuring her, I would tell her that there
was no sacrifice that was too much for one’s nation. I
would grope for words to explain that this would only be
for one year, after which we would be able to stay
together as before till death did us part.
Watching me as I packed a few things into my

bag, she started playing with my beards and planted a
kiss on my right cheek. Whenever she did this to me, I
always felt on top of the Himalayas.
Linda was gorgeous and very beautiful. She was
the type of woman every man would like to introduce as
his wife. I admired her long legs, good set of teeth that
glittered like diamonds. Her silky hair reminded me of
Amina who was my secondary school mate.
Amina was the first girl with whom I had fallen in
love. Those were my secondary school days when
every one admired my spirit of sportsmanship. She was
the daughter of one of the most efficacious political cum
intellectual elites in the country who was then a
commissioner and who had many a time represented
Nigeria and led Nigerian delegations to
international deliberations. He was unreserved in his
faithfulness and service to the nation, and would never
condone any act that violated the entrusted
commitment to the society from any of his comrades or
political associates. And it is an effulgent aristocratic
brilliance indeed!
It was during the inter-house sports, which was a
yearly event in our school. I represented my
schoolhouse in four events: relay race, hundred-meter
dash, high-jump and slow- cycle race. I came second in
the first three events but came first in the cycle race. It
was only when I finished the cycle race that I realized
that Amina and I have been silent lovers.
The slow cycle race was the toughest of all the
events that I had participated in. It lasted for thirty
minutes and the fellow who came second lost his
balance a few minutes before the race ended.
Excellence in the sport required concentration, energy,
and a good bicycle. Each participant was confined to a
track about two feet wide. The winner could be the last
participant to reach the tape if he is the only one that
never went beyond the two-foot wide sidelines of the
track and never touched the earth with either of his feet
until the end of the race. Going by the rules, the
contestant who kept all the rules, even if he arrived the
tape last, would be declared winner. I actually beat my
former record which stood at twenty two minutes, forty
seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Comments

Widget is loading comments...